Saturday, June 14, 2008
So I thought I would take over for a minute and update y'all on the Jeep that Steph gave me for my graduation present. She is sooo awesome. I mean what wife would surprise their husband with a nice little toy to tool around in. I couldn't be more excited. I get to put a few little treats on it to make it my own. I have been waiting for this moment since I sold my old Jeep back in 1995. And look, she is a beauty don't you think!
So here is what I started with. Yeah, she's not to bad lookin' but if I'm going to keep her around I better do something with that little rust spot on the windshield, oh and on the doors and the body, and take care of that dent on the hood, and since I'm going to do that I might as well take out the motor since it doesn't run quite right and the frame needs painted maybe a different dash since it's rusted, new brakes, radiator, transmission I'm pretty sure the lights are okay so we'll save them. Okay, here we go!
Here's what you can do with a grinder and a BIG hammer and a couple of choice words. The body was donated to a scrap metal joint. I pretty much just pulled the roll bar out cuz it was rusted through the bottom. Safe? I pretty much don't think so.
Out with the old wussy straight 6. Thanks to my neighbor Eric for donating the tractor. He looked like a little kid on christmas.
This was taken after I had the frame sandblasted and painted. Ain't she purty! Yes you can see some of the old parts lying around. We'll get to that in a minute. Now let's start buildin'!
The motor and transmission are in. It's a Chevy V-6 that should push almost 200 horsepower with an automatic transmission. That's twice as much as the on that was in to begin with. I put a 6 inch suspension lift on it now, and I shined up the rims a bit. Big difference!
The body and the grill are on now. Almost looks like a Jeep again.
When I got to this point Steph said " Wow, its almost done!" Well, it wasn't. I still had a ways to go. But it definitely looked close.
Just finished the dash. It looks pretty good for now. Once I get all the little stuff on there it'll look a lot cooler.
So here is where she sits right now. All that is left is some bigger tires, fenders and a hood and one or two other things. Hopefully by the end of the month she'll run. As for a paint job, I am thinking white with a heavy metallic blue graphic. The rust spots are gone thanks to a new tub and windshield frame from a 91 wrangler. It has a solid full roll cage to keep the kidlets safe. Hopefully we'll be tearing up the trails in the fall! Thanks for looking!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
DUUUUDDDEEEE!!! That thing is awesome!!! I can hardly wait for the Moab trip. Good to hear from you - Dave
Looks like you are having way too much fun with rebuilding your Jeep. Cute blog Steph!
Man...I wish my wife would let me do more with my old jeep...it's chilling in Tropic awaiting the day to really go out and have fun.
Josh
Post a Comment